Saturday, March 28, 2009

Lisbeth Zwerger

I realise I haven't posted about artist I love lately, so I'll mention an illustrator whom I adore. Lisbeth Zwerger is an award winning illustrator from Vienna, Austria. Her work has won a gazillion awards.. you can see why. Her whimsical style is beyond charming. I love the way she interprets fairy tales and stories in new and wonderful scenes...

Noah's Ark:

The divine Ms. Z herself:

The Little Mermaid:


Alice in Wonderland:
I love the perspective she creates, and the vast amount of space she leave blank.. you can often see her pencil marks, another something I always find charming in artwork. I love seeing the "thinking" and the hand of the artist, stray marks, drips etc..
I wish she had a website, I could not find one, if anyone knows.. let me know.. I've collected a whole mess of her books, and I look often at them for the creative inspiration sometimes..

I toyed, in college with children's illustration, but that meant and extra year at least of college, and I was ready to move on..I keep a sketch book and sometimes break the old gauche paint and ink pens out. It's charming, contemplative work..


5 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh thank you. Its lovely to see other artists work like this.

hens teeth said...

I could'nt agree with you more. I have been an admirer of Lizbeth's work for a long time now and like you, have books of her stunning illustration. It is a total joy.

hens teeth said...

Sorry....my mistake Lisbeth not Lizbeth DOH!

Tracy Lorna Nors said...

Thanks for sharing this, I have many of her books and love her compositions, they're simply marvelous! I haven't got the Alice book though, will have to look for that.
Tracy

Rachel said...

I love the Little Mermaid illustration, it's beautiful!