Monday, August 10, 2009

Shad

Here in Fredericksburg, the Rappahannock River runs right through the old part of town. It's an amazing river, as it's tidal up to Fredericksburg, and the fall line is just upstream from the town. A few years back the city removed the old damns that were hindering the shad and other fish from migrating up stream to spawn. Now the damns are down and the fish can go up the creek!

The Friends of the Rappahannock is an organization here in town that have many conservation and enjoyment programs for this river. They hold a fund raiser every fall and this quilt is going to their silent auction. It's my attempt at depicting the shad in the river. It is all raw edge applique and machine and hand sewn. About 36x46".. I've layered upon layered this to give a shimmer and movement to the fish and the water.


Just about done, some more embellishment and stitching, hopefully complete by next week.

11 comments:

Sandie said...

Love the quilt, the movement and colours. Nice work. I hope it sells well for your charity.
Sandie at Rag Rescue

Chris Daly said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I love your interpretation in fabric and the machine quilting.

Regina Moore said...

Wonderful quilt! I can just imagine the shad swimming in the water...
What a wonderful donation for a wonderful cause!

Jackie said...

ally beautiful. They'll love it .

Jackie said...

Sorry..the 'Re' missed off that last comment. I should have typed REally beautiful. But iut gives me another chance to say it again!

Anna M. Branner said...

Absolutely gorgeous Laurie! Love the movement and all the different blues...

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Very beautiful work.x

Susan Turney said...

I was just checking Flickr out and saw your fish quilt. Beautiful! I made one, too! Everyone said "Why fish"? and all I could say was when I bought the striped fabric I saw fish! Mine still needs a lot more embellishment but thought you might like to see it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pcbysusan/3778737914/
I was seeing trout in a stream with colorful pebbles.

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Lorie, I'm loving your fish quilt. The layers and colours are perfect, as well as your choice of embellishment. It's a WOW and I hope you raise lots of money in your silent auction! Good luck!

Carolyn

ps. thanks for visiting me today, it means a lot to me because I know you are so busy!

Annie Coe said...

This is so beautiful! Your quilts are always so special.

Carol said...

This is such beautiful quilt, I just love it. A wonderful and generous donation to a good cause.